General Psychiatry & Women’s Mental Health in Orange County
Sonya Rasminsky, MD
I am a board-certified psychiatrist, in practice for more than fifteen years. My specialty is in women’s mental health and reproductive psychiatry, but I enjoy working with clients at all life stages and with many different issues. I moved to Orange County from Chicago in 2012 and opened my private practice in 2013.
I am an associate professor of clinical psychiatry at UC Irvine and UCLA, a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, and a 2017 and 2018 Orange County Physician of Excellence. Since 2016, I have been an attending psychiatrist in the Women’s Life Center at UCLA, where I supervise and teach residents about reproductive psychiatry. I have written both popular and scientific articles and book chapters about mental health during pregnancy and postpartum, and provide consultation regarding medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
I began my career as a psychiatrist in college mental health, and continue to enjoy working with young adults. From 2012-2016, I worked in the Student Health Center at UC Irvine, providing psychotherapy, medication management, and consultation.
In my private practice, I provide personalized and compassionate psychiatric care, keeping up with the latest developments in psychiatry and women’s health, but never losing sight of the importance of putting people first. My style is warm and down-to-earth, and my practice philosophy is simple: listen to the patient, look for insights together, and work collaboratively to generate a treatment plan.
- BA, Harvard-Radcliffe College, magna cum laude in English Literature (1992)
- MD, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine (1999)
- Psychiatry Residency, Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School (1999-2003)
- Private practice (2013- present)
- Associate professor at UCLA and attending psychiatrist in the ULCA Women’s Life Center (2016- present)
- Associate professor at UC Irvine and attending psychiatrist in the UCI Student Health Center (2012-2016)
- Assistant professor at Northwestern (Chicago); Director of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry and Co-Director of the Women’s Behavioral Health Program (2006-2012)
- Assistant professor at University of Illinois at Chicago (Chicago); attending psychiatrist in the Student Health Center and Women’s Mental Health Program (2003-2006)
Awards and Honors
- Orange County Physician of Excellence (2017, 2018)
- Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
- Board Certified in Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (2004)
Leadership and Affiliations
- Councilor, Orange County Psychiatric Society (2018-2020)
- Chair, Education Committee, Orange County Psychiatric Society (2014-2018)
- Member, Postpartum Support International
- Member, Perinatal Mental Health Society